Saturday, December 26, 2009

The turning of a page - the end of a chapter

I like to think of myself as a writer. I write mostly for myself, my children, my ancestors. My blog is a personal history of my family, my thoughts, my life. As I sit here in this hospital, I am reflecting on how many other times I have been here and how, as wonderful as it has been, I will never be here for this specific reason again. I am turning a page, ending a chapter of my life. I will never be pregnant again. I know you think you've heard me say this before, but I'm done. I've multiplied and replenished the earth with some of the most beautiful souls I will ever be priveledged to know...my own children.
It is with a sad heart that I end this chapter, but joyful as well. I have been blessed beyond measure with eight of the most beautiful babies you have ever seen, and that doesn't include my two angel babies whom I will meet in the eternities. Early this morning, I gave birth to a sweet little boy named Derek William. My body is older than it was 17 years ago when I started working on our family. I don't remember much from that delivery as I was practically a child and didn't realize how much a little something in my IV to take the edge off would affect me. I have since learned that I don't do well with IV drugs and that epidurals are the thing for me.
I have to say that this was the hardest last 6 weeks of pregnancy I've ever had. Grateful for modern technology and the ability to be induced, I showed up lastnight around 7pm, Ben at my side, as he has been for all of our children. We were in our room and started with the induction by 8:30 or so. I waited until much later than normal to get my epidural for fear of the baby being born on Christmas Day. Had I known it would be 7:47am the next day before he would arrive, I would have asked for it sooner. Early in the morning, after I had not progressed much at all, the Dr. mentioned the possibility of a C-section. I had to assume the baby was too big and was just not going to find its own way out. She gave in to my desire to wait it out a bit longer and she broke my water. I'm so glad we did. A few hours later, I felt that familiar feeling of pressure, and with a fabulous epidural, no pain. I felt that pressure for a long time as we waited for the baby to turn itself the right way to exit. I've never been so uncomfortable in my life. I'm a little embarrassed that by the time I finally knew he was about to arrive, I yelled out, "Get it out! Get it out!" Surrounded by three of my sisters, my mom, and Ben, Derek William made his way into the world.

So here are pics of the last 48 hours, more to come.
The last picture you'll ever see of me in this condition:)
Grandma Whetten was there for most of the 12 hours.
Ben, a proud dad. So glad his wish for one more son came true.

Baby Derek in my arms...finally.

All 9 pounds 15 ounces of him.



Thank you to my sweetheart who was so encouraging and supportive, especially at the end when I said, "I can't do this anymore!"


So lucky to have 3 of my sisters and my mom attend the birth. Donny was there for about 15 minutes, but he left. I'm not sure he liked what was going on about the time he arrived:)

25 comments:

Jen said...

That was very sweet. He is huge! He doesn't even look like a newborn. Glad you can start this new chapter in your life. You are an inspiration to many!

Kristine said...

He's absolutely beautiful! Congratulations in every sense of the word. May your nights be peaceful and restful and may your recovery be speedy!

Jamie said...

Okay, he is like the cutest baby ever. He really doesn't even look like a newborn. Wow, 8! Congrats. If I could talk my hubby into 8 I would but I am still working on 3. Enjoy your new blessing. ;)

Eric and Lindsay said...

Congrats Stacey! He is a beautiful big boy! We can't wait to see him.

Morris Mama said...

Yay! Such a beautiful boy! He makes a good caboose! Glad to hear everything went well!

Becky said...

I'm so glad he's here and all is well with you both! Well said about starting a new chapter. We are in that chapter too ;)
Congrats! He is adorable (as are all your kiddos!)

Cherene said...

Congratulations!!! I can't believe it's a boy, but what a big, beautiful boy he is. The good thing about one chapter ending is that another one is beginning. Here's to many new, exciting chapters to come!!

Canyon Chiropractic said...

He is so cute!! Thanks Stacy!!

Jess the photographer behind the lens at JWilsonPix said...

Congrats to you guys Stacy... He is adorable!!!

So happy for you that he is here and your both well!!! Big hugs your way!!

Rachel M said...

I'm so glad all went well. He is darling and I love me a chubby baby!! I have mixed feelings about being "done" too. Congratulations to you and your family. Enjoy the heck out of that sweet baby!

Cluff Family said...

We are so happy for your family. Enjoy every minute of your new son.

Jenna said...

Congratulations ! ! ! What a sweet blessing from Heaven. Big hugs and love from Switzerland.

You are simply amazing!

Aubrey Garff said...

Congratulations! I can't believe the strength that you radiated there in the end. I have never had the endurance that you showed. You are an awesome person!

The Knappy Crew said...

What a sweet post. Congrats on the new bundle of baby boy joy. He is adorable. He is so chubby, I love chubby babies......after they are out of course (; You are amazing. I am still shocked you did that so many times. What precious pictures. Congrats again!!!!

Katie and Josh Johnson said...

Congratulations Johnson Family! Stacey nice work! He is a beautiful baby!

Allison Johnson said...

You really are super woman, and a wonderful example to me. Good job for hanging in there at the end...he looks like he was worth the wait. He is just beautiful!!

MichelleY said...

Congratulations Johnson Family! He is so cute, I love big chubby babies. What a perfect ending to your family :)

I Am Boymom said...

Wow! What a big, handsome fella! Football in his future? He's in the right family for it! Derek is absolutely adorable Stacy and I really love this post. I am always amazed by women who can go through the childbirth process more than once or twice and then proceed to raise a large family with sanity and love. You rock, woman.

Valerie Ipson said...

Congratulations!!! Enjoy him and enjoy being DONE!!! You're awesome!

Kami Milliron said...

I had NO idea Candice was your sister ! I don't know her very well, but I am pretty sure we went to the same Elementary school, Junior High and High School. I also think you were in my parents Stake when we were growing up. Is that how you know my brother, Kris ? I think I am about two years older than Candice ( I am 28 ) but that is too funny she is your sister.

Thanks for your sweet comment. I am SO happy to almost be DONE !

McDougal Family said...

Congrats again! What a beautiful baby boy!! Glad that he is here and that him and you are both healthy and doing well! Can't wait to meet the little guy!

Sarah S. said...

I loved your post Stacy. You are so blessed to have 8 beautiful, healthy children. Derek is the prettiest (no offense that he's a boy) fresh new born babies that I have ever seen. He doesn't look anything like an alien like my new born babies look. Congratulations!

Celeste B. said...

That's big boy! Congratulations!

Tim and Shay said...

awe..congrats! He is precious!

McDowell's said...

What an angel face he has!!! You guys have CUTE kids! Wish we were there to come visit (and fold socks!). Congratulations!