Wednesday, August 13, 2008

First Day of School pics this time

OK, I just want everyone to know that regardless of how my children get to and from school after the first day, I have walked every single one of them to school on the first day of kindergarten. I just don't like to fight the parking lot, walk all the way to the teacher, and pick up my kid, especially when it is so hot. Why should I when I have other children who are already there and can do it for me? But I digress. I missed taking a picture of Vance on his first day since he leaves so early in the morning for cross country. So, Jana and I drove over at lunchtime and gave our kids a special treat and a note wishing them well on their first day. Vance was not excited for me to take his picture right there at school, but it is a mother's right, right? That is why his picture isn't so great.




Drew is in 6th grade - he was a little dissappointed that he had to remain at the elementary school instead of the middle school, but mom is happy. His teacher is in our ward and I think the majority of his homeroom class is in our ward too. BTW, I have to add that the bottom of his shirt says, "My mom rocks." He picked it out all by himself and he wasn't trying to suck up either, he really believes I rock.

Katy is in 2nd grade this year. She has a man teacher and doesn't seem to mind one bit. She is sad that yet another year has gone by and her favorite cousin is not in her class. My little baby is getting so grown up!! (It makes me wonder if the teachers are doing it on purpose:)


Skylar is in the 4th grade. He loves to wear button up shirts and I love this one! He thought he wasn't going to like his teacher cause everyone knows how mean she is. Well, the night we were doing father's blessings for school, Ben told of how he had a similar situation and then got a blessing from his dad and that teacher ended up being one of his favorite teachers. So Skylar came home the first day and said, "the blessing really worked, my teacher is going to be awesome!!"


Marly is in 8th grade - oh where have the years gone? She is excited for all of her advanced classes so she won't be bored again this year (so not her mom.) She is trying out for the basketball team, volleyball team, and track team (so her mom). She dropped choir cause the teacher was teaching things like how notes go up and down, (a little too basic for Marly) and she didn't want to waste her time only singing melody (the teacher wasn't going to teach harmonies.) She is currently running for student body president so if your kid goes to her school, tell them to vote for her.


And then there is Tawny. She hated school from the first day she got home - so not like her. She said that her teacher just yells at everyone. I asked her why he yelled and she said it was cause everyone is always talking. I told her to stop talking when she wasn't supposed to and he would probably stop yelling. She told me she NEVER talks when she isn't supposed to. Well, I thought that could be true, but you just never know. She came home the first day and asked if she could take her ditch day tomorrow. I had to laugh, but she was so serious. She cried everyday that week and one day her teacher actually called me to get her to settle down. Fast forward to the next week, Monday. I had to pick up Tabby (same class) and take her to a friend's house to play after school so I had a chance to talk to her teacher. Tawny ran up to me and exclaimed, "I didn't get any tickets today!!" I didn't know what to think and then Tabby said, "I got a chip today!" As I was about to ask them what it meant, her teacher interruped, "Tickets are bad, chips are good." To make a long story short, I finally figured out Tawny's problem. She felt like she was getting in trouble for the other kids talking and she didn't like that. The first week was the week to "learn" how to follow the rules. Now that he is bribing with tickets and chips, all is well. She has gotten chips only and she is so happy!! Yeah for the best man kindergarten teacher ever!! And, isn't she the cutest??

2 comments:

Jamie and Heather Darger said...

That makes me sad that Bailey is not with the rest of them. Who teaches anyway????? I must have missed that one. Kids look great. Bailey has a shirt (girl version) of that "My Mom Rocks"...but both her and I know it is just a shirt....your son knows HIS is for real! I love that boy.

Stacy said...

Summer T. is his teacher. You've seen her blog, haven't you?