Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Interesting thing about these 72 hour kits


So, I bought these backpacks on clearance for $5 each (I wish I would have bought some more for school) when we first moved into this home. I then stuffed the backpacks (still in the plastic), water jugs, hygiene kits, first aid kit, etc. in the hall closet. Not that efficient, in the event of an emergency. But, since I had to clean out the closest to knock the wall down, I decided to put the kits together properly. As I went through my stash of stuff, I noticed some interesting things:
1. I made 9 kits last November before I knew I was pregnant. Why? I have no idea. Now I know.
2. The red string things are to hold personal information. I will go and shrink and laminate each child's birth certificate, and other important docs and attach them to the strings for the kids to have in their backpacks. When Melissa gave us these along with a first aid kit for each family at FHE a few years ago, she gave me 9 strings. Coincidence? I don't know.
3. Because of the first two coincidences, why didn't I purchase another backpack? Everyone knows the baby has the most need for stuff - diapers, formula and bottles for if mom isn't around, etc. Oh well.
All I know is that the bags, along with all the water in the garage, and our camping boxes, are ready to go. Now I just need to know where to put it all. I feel like I accomplished something today, at least.

6 comments:

Becky said...

Wow, great job! I personally love Target after school starts getting backpacks for like $3.50. I found some at walmart for 1 buck, and my sis in law wanted them all, so I got none... I'm not bitter! lol
I loved your story about the soup on Sunday... maybe that's why Nicole got a lot of soup? :)

C Whetten said...

What wall are you knocking down and why?

Jen said...

Where do you get those red things? That is a great idea for the birth certificates, etc.!!

Stacy said...

I got the lanyards from my sister who is an employee of the Red Cross. You can get them anywhere, like staples, sports authority or even WalMart. I don't know how much they are, maybe a dollar. I bet you can find them online for even cheaper.

Celeste - The Solar Cook said...

Cool! I need to change out the food in ours next month. We rotate at General Conference time in between sessions on Saturday & Sunday. Saturday is rotating water barrels and rotating canned items. Sunday the kids help pack their food into Food Saver bags and we seal them up to keep them bug and water safe.

I think the lanyards are a great idea.

randa_joy said...

This is nothing to do with your post. I'm just slow getting back to you. Appearantly the movie "Mother of Mine" is based on the novel of the same name by Heikki Hietamies, which I cannot vouch for as I only saw the movie. Also I don't own it, I just watched it through Netflix.