Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sleep Walking is hereditary

OK, so if you have ever had a chance to hear some funny stories about the sleep walkers at our house, here are two:

Vance and Bo became best friends shortly after we moved into our present home. The two families are fairly comfortable with the "knock and walk" when we arrive at each other's homes. There are rules that go along with this and as adults we apply them, but the kids just walk in regularly. No issue there. Well, Vance is my best sleepwalker and we have the best time razzing him about his talent. One morning, he told me that during the night, he woke up in the Chapman's living room. He heard Bo snoring and that is when he woke up. That means, he unlocked our squeaky front door,walked three doors down in the early hours of the morning, opened an unlocked door (I'm sure that was an accident), walked into a dark house, and woke up when he heard Bo snoring. He quietly walked out, shut the door and came home and crawled back in bed. Frightening at the time, we laugh about it now.

So when I say that it is hereditary, let me tell you what happened lastnight. I remember sitting up in bed at 11:30pm, picking up the phone, dialing my mother and having a conversation with her about how I was supposed to tell her 3 weeks ago that she needed to do something (I can't remember what). As soon as I told her why I was calling, there was stunned silence. "Stacy, are you o.k.?" was her response. At that moment I woke up. "sorry Mom, I don't know why I called you." "Stacy, are you awake?" (apparently she knows the drill even though I've lived away from home for 18 years.) "I'm awake now, I'm so sorry that I woke you up, goodnight." So I woke up this morning wondering if I had dreamt this or not. I called my dad and said, "Dad, how are you this morning?" His reply, "I'm fine, how are YOU?" There was a slight exaggeration in his voice as he said it. I knew it really happened. Well, we all had a good laugh about that one.

11 comments:

Allison Johnson said...

That is the most terrifying thing I have read all day!! I was really hopeing the sleepwalking (or night terrors as we call them here) could not pass on to kids. It is hard enough getting any sleep when your husband is up and going all night...but kids too? I really am going to be tired for the REST OF MY LIFE. ARRGGG! (Find me if you ever want to hear some funny stories though...)

Brittany said...

I was getting into bed when I heard the phone ring and I was like "Who the heck is calling at 1130 at night?" Then I yelled up to mom asking who it was, and all I could hear was her quiet-bobble-up-and-down-laughter. I knew it had to be good. I went upstairs and she was laughing so hard because you called to tell her that you forgot to tell her she was supposed to pick Jenny up 3 weeks ago but you didn't know where. By the time I got back to my room and in bed, she was still laughing.

Summer said...

That is so funny/scary! I don't walk but have been known to sit on the edge of the bed and talk to people in my sleep. It freaks Brandon out!

Morris Mama said...

Poor Vance! I am so laughing right now because I can totally relate. Dale is a huge sleep walker/talker. One night, before we were married, he tore apart is entire bathroom. I mean fixtures from the wall! Another night he woke up in the middle of trying to flip his mattress! My favorite thing he has said while sleeping (which happens pretty much every night) is "Alright, everybody on the boat is getting punched!"

C Whetten said...

It was Ok, I was still awake, and when I heard your voice I knew something was really up, then when you said it was something that you had been trying to tell me for 3 weeks, I knew that the gig was up, and there was nothing really wrong. We did get a good chuckle out of it though.

Dizzy Kate said...

Those are great stories. It got a laugh out of me.

Chad~Nicole said...

This is totally a secret...but Chad sleepwalks/talks too. :) I once woke up to him trying to take our ceiling fan apart.

Stacia said...

I sleep walk and talk too! Those are some good stories. I'll have to share some of my stories with you sometime.

Celeste - The Solar Cook said...

My sister, Alissa, walked down to her "boyfriend's" house one night. Rang their doorbell and woke up the whole family. She was five! My parents installed high flip-locks the next day. So we would hear her shaking the door trying to get out in the middle of the night.

Cresta said...

I just wanted to wish you a Happy Half Way Day!! Only 20 more weeks until you can hold your little piece of heaven!

Abram and Ashley said...

Just saying "That is funny"
And I'm joining you bloggers!