Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I put up peaches!

I have always wanted to say "I put up peaches today" and yesterday I actually called my mom and that is what I said! Marly and I put up 18 quarts of peaches and two gallon freezer bags full in the freezer. I love opening that cupboard door and seeing all those beautiful jars of fresh peaches. I did it all by myself too, meaning, I found some directions and just went for it.

I'm working harder on my year supply. I have my basic supply, wheat, sugar, rice, beans, etc. but while I use those things regularly, I'm not sure it would be much help in the case of an emergency. I'm working on making a supply of meals that we will really use with the help of a system that I heard of by Sandy DeWitt. I have a handout that I can copy if anyone is interested. It is really easy. Just choose 7 meals and create 52 of each of them and you have a year supply. For example, if you wanted to have sweet and sour chicken with rice for dinner, you would decide how much you need for one meal of each item and then create it 52 times. I am overwhelmed and wouldn't really rotate 7 meals that often so we are going for 30 meals created 12 times. I started with breakfast since I have oatmeal and sugar and water in my supply, now I have peaches so I have actually 18 meals! I am doing chicken next week and applesauce the week after that. I am going to do pork with onions and carrotts soon and collect enough bottles of Bulkogi sauce to go with my year supply of rice. That sounds so yummy and since it is a favorite of ours, it will be easy to rotate.

1 comment:

Celeste - The Solar Cook said...

Yummy! We did tons of peaches last year and I was not quite up to doing it again this year. We are also following Sandy DeWitt's plan for food storage and we have almost a 3 month supply. I have a pressure canner and hope to do some meats soon again.