Friday, February 4, 2011

Why I send my kids to Combs

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be critical of anyone who sends their children somewhere other than their neighborhood school.  I truly mean it when I say I don’t care where you send your children because it only shows that you truly care about them and their education, and I can only make decisions on what works best for my family. My fear of having anyone think that I think less of them for switching schools is the reason I have not posted this for a long, long, long time...

When I was born, my mom offered me baby formula from a bottle.  She continued with formula feeding for her first three kids.  That was good and fine until #4 arrived.  My brother was allergic to every brand of formula she tried.  The pediatrician suggested she try breastfeeding and so she did.  Turns out, she didn’t mind it so much and so that was how she fed the last three.  So, half of us were formula fed and the other half were breastfed.  Which one was the better choice? 

I am pro-public school system, (just like I am pro breastfeeding).  I think kids ought to go to the public school they are assigned to, with very few exceptions to that rule.  Why?  Because there is more to going to school than just the secular education they receive.  There are so many life lessons to be learned if we will just look for them.

I have weighed the pros and cons about Combs High School and its feeder schools, and I even sent my oldest son to Queen Creek before we had a high school here.  I know that no matter what, at the end of the day, I feel good about sending my kids to Combs.  Certainly I have had my share of frustrations, but I have also had way more moments of happiness and joy than those few moments could ever destroy.  Here are just a few of the areas I am involved in and can share my opinion about.

Academics is the main topic that people bring up (and it should be, as this is the main reason we send them there, right?).  It has been the rumor that Combs school district was for the dumb kids, or the “easy” school.  I only know from my experience, that my children are receiving the best education available.  Starting in the middle school, they are offered a variety of choices from remedial classes to Advanced Placement. Marly entered her freshman year with a whole year of math credit and finished the year with 3 college history credits.  But, my kids aren’t perfect students, sometimes I have to take phone calls from teachers, or go to a parent teacher conference and hear that my child isn’t doing as well as I would hope.  Whose fault is that?  There have been many opportunities where I have had to sit back and remind myself who is responsible for my child’s education?  Me, or the school?  It is my responsibility to make sure my child does their homework, it is my responsibility to allow my child to suffer the consequences of poor grades if I have to, and it is my responsibility (along with my child’s) to figure out how to make it work.  Have I had a teacher that I disagreed with?  Of course, but I am of the opinion that in the majority of those cases, it was a matter of teaching my child how to work out the problem and come to a reasonable conclusion rather than switching teachers or schools.   I just wonder what I would be teaching my child if I didn’t give it a fair shake before giving up altogether.  That isn’t to say that there aren’t exceptions to that rule and I know that there are.  In general, I think we rely on our teachers too heavily to take all of the responsibility for our child’s education, instead of using them as the resource that they are.  Blaming the teacher/coach is sometimes easier than accepting responsibility ourselves.

I am of the opinion that if my child is going to play in the NFL, MLB, NBA or go to the Olympics, it will be in spite of their lack of training through high school.  We made the choice a long time ago to have our children play a variety of sports throughout the year so as to not burn them out on one sport and offering them opportunities to try new things.  I don’t have a lot of money to spend on club teams to give my kid that extra “edge,” nor do I think it is necessary to be on a star team in order to be recognized by college recruiters.  Does it help?  Of course, but I can’t choose my child’s school based on athletic performance by my child, or the school.   I do like that my children have the opportunity to be a star in their own right, for their own school, among their peers.  Our school is small now, which allows for more opportunities to shine.  Is this false recognition?  I don’t know.  I am a realist, my kids know their worth not because they wear a varsity letter jacket.  I also think that this is where the community comes in.  I am a believer in the life lessons that sports can offer, win or lose.  I have gotten to know the kids in my neighborhood just because I went to a ball game at the school and watched them play.  The next time I saw them on the street, I was able to strike up a conversation.  They know me, they trust me, I hope they will respect me, because I took the time to cheer for them.  It’s my hope that we will bring our community together this way.  We had a lot of success at our football games this season,  with tailgate parties, junior cheerleaders, recognizing elementary school fundraisers, etc.  I thoroughly enjoyed the community spirit we had and the relationships we have made since then.

Another concern I have heard, was that of the “atmosphere” on campus.  We certainly should be concerned about drugs, alcohol, foul language, abusive behavior, and so on.  But first, we should be more concerned about teaching our children to say away from those things, so no matter where they go, they will know how to avoid them.  I wondered about this problem last year after hearing several parents complain, so I went to the head of security for Queen Creek and the head of security for Combs (I knew them both personally).  They communicate with each other on occasion, and know basically what is going on with each school as far as security goes.  Both people told me that what is found on one campus is found on the other campus, very little difference.  When my kids come home from school and start sharing the events of their day, it is moments like this when I have to reinforce what my kids have always been taught.  Stay away from  the bad stuff, and there is bad stuff no matter where you go.  Do your best to choose good friends, participate in wholesome activities, and be kind to everyone you meet.  So far, there hasn’t been a problem (but I've only had two in high school so far).
 
I am a great fan of the band program at Combs.  The middle school band director, along with the elementary school teachers and Mr. Werner, have taken our little struggling program and made it top notch.  Have you seen them perform?  This is one area where I can say Combs is by far the better program compared to QC. In only its second year, we are already double the size of QC.  I can only mention the orchestra and choirs from what I have seen at their concerts, and they are fabulous as well.  We are blessed in that aspect.

Lastly, for my LDS friends, is the subject of seminary.  5:50 is very early in the morning to start the day, but what greater place to do it?  I heard that there were families choosing to send their kids elsewhere because of the lack of release time.  Are you kidding me?  What a greater opportunity to teach our children to sacrifice for a worthy cause?  Is it hard?  Certainly.  Is it worth it?  More than we can even comprehend.  If you are sending your child somewhere else because you want release time, don’t they end up taking an 0 hour anyway?  This one doesn’t make sense to me to even argue about.  I’ll leave it at that.

What does this have with breastfeeding vs. formula feeding?   Only you can be responsible for how well your child does, no matter where you choose to send them.  
Your kids will be great because of YOU.  I truly believe that.

I’m super excited for the 8th grade class coming up.  That is a group of kids who are smart, athletic, determined, and totally capable of being the class that is responsible for pushing Combs to the outer edges of excellence…together, if given the chance.   

15 comments:

ShanaMarie said...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ALL YOU THINK AND HAVE SAID!!!THANK YOU

Shannon said...

Amen!

marnee said...

Well said.

I have many times wished that there had been specialists at our local schools, so my kids could have been well educated in our own neighborhood.

Then again, I have lots of issues with SpEd, and the sometimes ignorant way things are handled, regardless of location. It frustrates me that I feel responsible for reminding or teaching the educators at times (and this isn't my degree field - and no one is paying me).

But . . . I guess that is sort of what PTO, SIAC, Boosters, etc. do in a way. We tell the school what is important and w/out feedback and support they don't have information to take back to their 'upline'.

Having worked in the school (as an aide) and being the spouse of a teacher, I can see both sides of the issue . . . usually. And that helps me communicate in an understanding way.

Sigh.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Celeste B. said...

Thank goodness we have the freedom in this country to have choices. I did not enjoy my time working for J.O. Combs school district. It was highly political and a lot of struggle for LDS students in particular. Now we live in the Midwest and the struggles are the same. Nothing too different to report working for Springfield Public Schools. Flagstaff Unified School District had the same issues as well.

Again, thank goodness we have the freedom to choose what is best for our individual families.

Crissie said...

Well said. I am pro-public schools also. Some may think that there are more negative influences in public schools. Maybe there are, I don't know. But I choose not to shield my kids from that. Stan and I were just talking about this tonight...some of the negative/improper things our kids have to see and hear at school. Unfortunately this is life and I feel that it's important to teach my kids to learn how to "live in the world but not of the world", and to learn how to seek out and find the good wherever they might be.

Stacy said...

Shana and Shannon - Thanks.

Marnee - That might be one of the exceptions I spoke of. I have one child with only a speech IEP, so I really have no experience in that area.

Celeste - Thank heavens we are able to choose, you are right. You have a different viewpoint having been an employee here, especially in those years of exponential growth when they could hardly keep up. I remember most of my frustrations were from back then. Things have improved greatly since. I have several friends who have been hired in the last two or so years and they are happy. I'm not sure what struggles you speak of for LDS kids though...

Stacy said...

Thanks Crissie! I didn't scroll down far enough to see your comment. I agree with you completely.

Chad~Nicole said...

Growing up I went to the "ghetto" neighborhood elementary school that most people were too cool to attend...especially people from my ward. (Lots of minorities, low income, etc.) Even though I could've gone to the gifted program at a "better" school my mom decided that there was more to school than just books and that if she kept on top of things I could succeed just as well where I was. By the time I started jr. high there was a fancy new school in the nice part of town that my ghetto school got fed into. At the end of the year they named a top 7th grade boy & girl. I was chosen as the girl and one of my ghetto/minority friends was chosen as the boy. We were so proud to represent. ;) In the end, I graduated near the top of my HS class, got a scholarship, and chose to work in public education. I usually don't talk education (even with family) because it's such a toucy subject. I'm thankful we all have the right to choose, and I'm thankful my parents made the best choice for me.

Pooh's Pics said...

AMEN CUZ!
I get flack for sending my kids to "ghetto" Mesa High, but you saw their production of Joseph! The schools programs are amazing! Love their orchestra, love that Miya has Freshman college credits as a Senior, and honestly, I'd rather they learn that the world is not composed of rich, white, Mormon kids. Love public school!

And...my Mom didn't nurse me, but she did all the other kids. I blame her for my short stature....well, compared to my siblings. ;)

Greco Family said...

You are an AMAZING writer! I can't tell you how many parents I've come across who believe teachers are to blame if their child doesn't succeed. I know they have a part in it, but it is really a partnership. I taught in Johnson Ranch down there and now teach in UT. Although some of the issues are different, there are still issues at each type of school. How you deal with those issues shows character. Nothing is ideal and exactly as you would want it, but that is real life. We must work through less than idea circumstances. Right? I agree with you! Great job! Miss you too!

Sarah S. said...

Love this post and I have nothing to do with Combs or Queen Creek. There are so many different options for education these days. It sure seemed a lot easier when we went to school and you had one choice....the public school in your neighborhood. I have always thought of my kids education as a 50-50 relationship with the schools. They do 50% and I do 50%. If you follow that principle than anywhere you send them is going to be fine. There is no way a teacher can get to the bare bones of what my child needs to learn and HOW they need to learn it. It's my responsibility as a parent.

The days of sheltering your children from negative outside influences is gone. It can not be done nor is it healthy. As you said all we can and must do is teach them right from wrong and correct principles.

I love your honesty and your ability to call things how they are. You are a great mom Stacey.

Celeste B. said...

An example of why freedom of choice in education is important:

Let's say the government made a law that we are assigned our closest grocery store to shop at. We can only shop at our assigned store unless we want a boundary exception, which are scarce. At first, we think, "OK, I like my local Albertson's so I'm happy with this new law."

A few weeks later, you discover that a couple miles down the road, your friends tell you that Wal-mart has cheaper canned goods than Albertson's. You are frustrated that there is a difference in what you are getting. Shouldn't they all be the same if they are operated by the government?

Two months later, you realize the produce at your Albertson's is rancid all the time. You can never get good, fresh produce. At the Fry's however, everyone boasts of the best, freshest produce they have ever had! You LOVE fresh produce and would rather drive a distance and pay more to shop at Fry's for the fresh produce than at Albertson's. You apply for a boundary exception and you are told there is a two year waiting list. What? Two years to wait until you can get good produce? But, your family needs good produce now.

You want to sell your house and move closer to Fry's so that it would be your assigned store, but you cannot afford any of the houses in that area.

This is the same as education. One family may value a certain sports program (canned food) or academic program (produce) than what is offered at your school. Shouldn't we have the choice?

I do not want anyone's choice taken away. I want all to have what they feel is best for their family. I hope everyone will respect the need for choice and support boundary exception, charter school and homeschool laws that allow these freedoms.

Stacy said...

I don't think I meant I wanted the choices taken away. I just want to state that my opinion is that I think every child can do well if the parent does their part to help them do well. While I don't think homeschooling is for me, if that was my only choice, I would make it work. Just like if public education was your only choice, you would make it work, because that is the kind of parent you are. And, lucky for all of us, we do have a choice.

Celeste B. said...

Stacie - I understand that you accept that their is a choice, but then you are not exactly accepting of the choices others are making. At least, that is what I thought you were saying.

The Parable of the Grocery Store - Part 2

You are discouraged, but your neighbors seem fine with not having fresh produce. They accept canned vegetables in place of fresh produce and make the best of the situation. They apply their time towards trying to help Albertson's acquire better produce. They volunteer to help and see some improvements at times. They encourage all of their neighbors to not go anywhere else, but to stay with Albertson's so that they can improve their situation.

A woman next door is frustrated and decides not to even bother with boundary exceptions or the assigned grocery store. She decides to grow her own food and plants a garden. She raises chickens and a pig. She works all day long on raising her own food. You and your neighbors are stunned. The work she puts into her own food seems ludicrous to you. You would never put in that time and effort for your own food. The grocery store saves you a lot of time and effort. Plus, almost everyone you know, except the woman next door, uses the grocery store.

The woman next door toils all day long on her food production. Sometimes her carrots are small, her tomatoes eaten by worms, and her lettuce wilts before she can use it all. The neighborhood laughs saying, "You should just stop wasting your time! The grocery store is so much more convenient." The woman next door is saddened that no one encourages her in her efforts. She feels lonely and judged for being different.

Over time as you get by with canned produce even though you would prefer fresh, the woman next door has perfected her food production skills. Her tomatoes are getting plumper and wormless, her carrots are turning out better, even though they are still smaller than the ones at the grocery store. Sometimes, she even has extra zucchini to share with her neighbors. Her zucchini is really the best you've ever seen.

Shouldn't we stop judging each other for their choices and uplift and encourage each other?

Stacy said...

Not judging, just answering the question to explain why I still send my kids to THAT school. I am just explaining myself. I had a few people ask me about it recently.