Thursday, February 18, 2010

Grateful for Service

Our Relief Society enrichment leaders put together a wonderful night of service.  Names were drawn at random (or so they said, hee hee) and a few sisters in the ward were asked what could be done for them if they had two hours of help from 3-4 sisters in the ward.  When I was lucky enough to be the recipient of such a wonderful activity, I had to think about it a while (I guess I don't have a hard time accepting service, cause I had a list of like 10 things that they could help me with).  Anyway, I chose to have them help me paint Drew and Sky's room.  I moved all the furniture, took everything off the walls, and basically cleaned and wiped down the walls in preparation for paint.  Ashley E., Monica S., Angie B., and Jana C., came over and helped.  We got everything taped and two walls painted in the time alotted.  They were fabulous helpers to me.  Even though we didn't get it all done, we got a great start.  We also got time to visit and have some treats too.  I can't wait until it is my turn to help someone else.  Cool, huh?

I have to add an apology for the state of my home.  I can only do one thing at a time, either work on a project, or keep the house straightened throughout the day.  Today I chose the painting project...obviously.  So, my house looked like a tornado came through.  The living room is starting to fill with my garage sale fodder, the drum set made its home in there too till we find a better place for it.  My family room had clean laundry all over the couch, and homework, backpacks and miscellaneous stuff cluttering the floor.  My kitchen looked as if I had prepared a gourment meal, there were dirty dishes stacked everywhere and the floor was in desperate need of a broom.  I'm sad to say I  made frozen taquitos, a bag of green salad, and a can of corn for dinner.  Lame, I know.

I was also very snippy to my kids and I am so sorry.  I had tons of homework due tonight, I was so tired, the baby cried all afternoon, I forgot to pick up Marly at school, and the house was a mess.  To top it all off, I had lunch with some friends and then felt guilty about it later, thinking I should have spent the time studying.

The good news is that Ben cleaned up the kitchen, my homework is done, Derek is asleep, much of the laundry is put away, and two walls are painted.  Now I am going to sleep.

5 comments:

Ben said...

You're a fantastic wife and mother... don't let one thing get you down... It's all GOOD!

Karolee said...

One of my favorite bloggers uses this motto "it's me or the house, we can't both look good". :-)
I'm tackling one room at a time making it all nice and organized starting downstairs and my upstairs hasn't been clean for over a month! For real. You're way ahead of me!

Lisa W said...

Sounds like you have a normal life, and the messes that naturally come with it. Sometimes I wish we could all see each other's messy houses more often and feel better about our own. Glad to hear that the day ended well.

Morris Mama said...

What a cool service idea! Painting is hard work! Get some rest lady!

Jen said...

I think frozen taquitos, salad and corn are a great meal. I think you are too hard on yourself. You certainly have a lot going on, AND have a newborn. I know it comes to a point where we feel really stretched and then guilt sets in. Your home probably just looked lived in by 9 people! Come over and see mine sometime, you'll feel better that are you doing a good job. Ü I love that enrichment activity idea.