The fact that I don't have to work outside of my home is something I will be eternally grateful for. I remember being a young mom and dropping off Vance at the babysitter so I could get to work at the credit union. That was so hard when all I wanted to do was be home and take care of my sweet baby boy. But, Ben was in school full time and worked nights part time and it was a struggle, to say the least. When he joined the Air Force, our hope was that I wouldn't have to work, but I did a few things like run a daycare in my home, I threw a paper route in the afternoons while my two babies slept in the back seat, and I even was a receptionist for a short time. I quit the last job only after a few weeks. The money wasn't worth not being with my two sweet babies and we decided that eating top ramen and mac and cheese for a few more months wouldn't hurt us any while Ben finished school and we got out of the military.
Since then, I have not had to work outside of my home to help with our family's income. I have been blessed to have time to attend most of my kids extracurricular things, volunteer at the schools, coach the high jump, go back to college, be on the board of directors for our football league, be a Relief Society President while pregnant with 6 kids at home, write for the Beehive newspaper and a myriad of other things. I'm not a great house cleaner, but I have done my best to keep my home fairly clean and provide nightly meals for my family. We live a simple life, but it is very full. I am blessed.
1 comment:
I always feel sad for women that say they 'have' to work. Some actually do, but a lot don't. They simply don't understand what they're missing.
We lived....not well....on $700 a month as new parents. We ate a lot of beans and macaroni. It was tough, but it was worth it.
I started working when all the kids went to school. It was an interesting experience because although I do love my chosen profession, I still missed so much being gone in the daytime and evenings.
After I quit I thought "I'll get bored and go back to work," but that's been almost a year ago, I'm so busy I haven't had time to be bored.
I'm very thankful that God has blessed us to be poor but not die being that way, because it meant I haven't missed a day of my babies' lives, and truthfully, it's gone so fast I don't think I could have afforded to miss a day.
hmm.....this turned into my own little blog didn'it?
Post a Comment