Someone mentioned to Marly today that they were worried about her because she is involved in so many activities. I laughed and apologized for passing on my genetic problem to my daughter, but what can I do? I get the important stuff done most of the time and am learning to say no to things like FB (just because I post regularly does not mean I am sitting there all day) and my blog. But, since I cannot sleep tonight, I will try and play a little catch up.
My sweet boy Vance turned 18 back in August. It is hard to believe I have a boy old enough to be in college and getting ready for a mission. He is on an academic scholarship to Mesa Community College and also an athletic scholarship running cross country this fall. He hates the commute, he hates that he has to pay for his own gas, and he hates that he only gets an average of 10 hours a week at Quizno's, but mostly he hates that he has very little social life. Welcome to the real world son. I do love that he is taking an institute class along with his academic schedule, and that he attends a stake mission prep class on Sunday evenings. I have learned that I am a control freak and letting go is going to be really hard for me. This year will be a good adjustment for me as I prepare to send him off into the Lord's service next summer. He only needs to finish reading the Book of Mormon to finish up his Duty to God for Priests and he will have finished the entire program. I love that boy, he makes me proud.
Marly, holy cow. That girls is amazing. In addition to her honors classes as a sophomore, she is a varsity cheerleader in her "spare" time. She was made the captain of the squad and is a natural leader. She is also in the glee club and likes to participate in anything musical. She was recently a contestant in the East Valley Idol contest at the school. She did not win, but she was amazing. She has style and personality, something I feel that I lacked when I was her age. She turned 16 in September also, which means she got her driver's license. Now, there are 4 drivers and 3 vehicles, which does not make her happy. But, she is only a sophomore so I told her to deal with it until Vance leaves. She has been on a few dates so far and is loving her new freedom. Having a girl turn 16 was so much harder than my boy. I love her, she amazes me.
Drew may be cut from the same mold as Marly and I. He is in marching band as an 8th grader playing percussion. He has a love/hate relationship with that. He is taking some high school credit classes this year cause the boy inherited his father's math skills. He is a leader on his football team and plays quarterback. They are undefeated and playoffs start this week. He is the most competetive person you have ever met, I just wish he could apply it to doing his chores. He is still working towards his Eagle scout badge, but football season and marching band take up the majority of his time right now. I hope he can get a project done during the winter. He earned his Duty to God for Deacons recently and I am proud of him for doing that.
Skylar is sometimes a pill, but I cannot get enough of that kid. He is funny and creative and always singing or writing a story, or tapping out a beat with his hands on his legs, the table, the floor, or wherever. I joke that he probably has ADD like me because he has trouble focusing on one task at a time. He is easily distracted. He gets fabulous grades at school and like his brother Drew, he is a leader on his own football team. He is part time quarterback, part time coach for the Longhorns. That boy is so smart and physically talented when it comes to football, he amazes me. He has thrown a few 30-45 yard passes this season. I can't wait to see it on video.
Katy started her own blog recently, she loves her new ability to express herself. She is loving being a girl scout and also going to her ward Activity Days group. She loves to sing and is alway searching on YouTube for the lyrics to songs she likes so she can sing along. (yes, we monitor her) I think she wishes she were a cheerleader this year, but she likes to do her own thing. She comes home everyday and does her homework first thing. She loves to take Anny for a walk to the park as long as Maddie goes with her. She is my best helper.
Tawny is a cheerleader for the Dragons football team that my sweet part time son Dodge Chapman plays on. Merrek is a cheerleader with her and so Tawny's life is complete. She loves school and is so diligent about getting her homework done everyday after school. I don't even have to remind her. She is also diligent about eating an apple a day (she really is obsessed with apples), but it doesn't keep the doctor away. After a consult with an ENT recently and some observations when she sleeps, she will be getting her tonsils out this week. We hope that she will be more able to stay healthy through the winter, lessen her bad snoring habit, and improve her speech. As I monitored her sleeping over the last few weeks, I am concerned she may have a bit of sleep apnea. She is always tired, she snores excessively, and if you saw her tonsils, you would think she was sick because they are so large. Her sleeping is often interrupted with moments of silence and then she makes a disgusting noise while taking in a deep breath. It is weird. I hope this fixes the problem.
Anny is our sweet baby girl. She talks a mile a minute, she loves to eat, and she loves her siblings (except Vance when he is wearing his morph suit). Her favorite shows are Dora and Kim Possible. She is our Hornet mascot and is my right hand girl. She helps me take care of Derek during the day and entertains him while the kids are at school and I am working. She loves nursery and especially singing songs. I need to capture her singing some songs because she is so gosh darn cute. She is moving out of the toddler stage and into the preschool years. Where did my baby go? She is quick with a smile and a hug and a kiss. I'm her best friend besides Cole and Tristan her cousins.
Derek may turn out to be just like Skylar. He goes a hundred miles an hour and is funny and adorable and loveable (not that all my kids aren't that way). I am sad that he is moving out of his baby stage and I know that on those nights when he wakes and wants to nurse for no reason, I ought to let him cry it out and go back to sleep or something, but I don't mind holding him while he is quiet and peaceful because the moments are getting too far apart. He loves to eat and eat and eat and finally likes to drink formula from a sippy cup. He is a good napper most of the time and a content baby. His smile is contagious and I could just eat him up. He does not like to be contained unless we are moving, so football games are not fun for him or me. I have resorted to getting a babysitter so I can enjoy myself better. He is simply delicous.
Ben is coaching the Hornets, we have one year to go before our boys are all gone. This has me feeling happy and sad at the same time. He also coaches the freshman team at the high school. He loves/hates it. He likes to be in charge and is a very organized/scheduled type of coach. It is hard to work for an organization that doesn't do it the way he would. He is out there for the boys though and he has made some wonderful friendships and is a good influence for them. He is still the High Priest Group Leader for the ward. Needless to say, he stays as busy as me. He recently lost over 30 pounds and is loving his new look. He rewarded the family by buying a WII game system. I love that guy but I can't wait for football to end so I can hang out with him more. I would be a mess if he didn't work from home as much as he does.
And me? Well, I'm almost done with my degree. I am taking two classes right now, one online and one at the college. Math is kicking my fanny but the marriage/family class? Piece of cake:) I love school but can't wait to be done. I am still managing the Hornets team, but have delegated most everything out so that I can focus on my other two pop warner kids who need me. My team runs like a well oiled machine now. I am the treasurer for the Cheerleader Booster club. We have been working our tail feathers off trying to raise almost $20,000 for our girls to pay for camps, tumbling, and uniforms for our very first varsity season. It is almost a part time job. I will be glad for football season to be ended so I can enjoy competition in November. I am still in my card club, but they only do cards a few times a year and crafts the rest of the time. I have no need for crafts right now, so I kinda like the less stress. I am just finishing up the year-long term as president of my writing group, the QC Creators in ANWA. My writing has taken a back burner to the things I need to do for my kids. I am so glad we started the group out here, but ready to hand the gavel off to the next officer. I stay busy as the Agency Rep for LDS family services. I am the liason for our stake and assist in training and information on services that the agency offers. I go to a monthly training where I learn about addiction recovery, birth parent support, adoption services, etc. I love it, but wish my calling weren't necessary if you know what I mean. Now that the weather has cooled off some, I have started running again. I am doing Ragnar in February and looking forward to my first marathon next July.
Well, that is it. Oh, I lost my camera. Yep. I don't know where it has gone too, I think it may have been stolen out of my truck a few Saturdays ago, that was the last I saw of it. Until I get a new one or it is recovered, there will be very few pictures. I am so sad because I loved that camera, with its additional big lens and special little tissue cleaning clothes. I will miss it, along with all the candy I had stashed in my bag that my kids didn't know about. Tear.
If you read to the end, you must be a grandma or bored, but thanks for listening to me go on and on.
7 comments:
You are a very busy family. I personally can't be that busy. I like to stop and smell the roses too much I guess.
Good luck in all that you do!
I have plenty of time to stop and smell the roses, don't get me wrong. I think I have done a pretty good job of perfecting my multitasking skills. I love chilling with the kids at the park, going on hikes with them, going to the band concerts, sports activities, reading with the little ones, singing songs with Anny, snagging a date every week with Ben, etc. I guess I didn't include those things in here. I wonder how different each person's definition of smell the roses is.
I didn't mean to imply that you do not smell the roses, simply that I might enjoy a slower pace than you do...and maybe I spend too much time smelling the roses. LOL! And, you are right, we probably all have a different definition of what "smelling the roses" is to us. Not good or bad, just different.
Well said.
Yes, I read all the way to the end. And I'm not even a grandma or really bored either. Just an old friend who loves the updates on your sweet family!
Yowza! And you all manage to look good.
I read the whole thing and loved it! Im not a grandma or bored. :o) You write very well. It captivated me. (is that how you spell it?) Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment