Tuesday, December 2, 2008

He made it to 10 - I can hardly believe it!

Happy Birthday to my sweet baby boy Skylar. He entered the world in the early morning hours of December 2, 1998. He weighed 10lbs 2oz. He was my fastest delivery because once my water broke, gravity took over and there was no stopping him. He's been a whirlwind of personality ever since.
You probably know Skylar as that funny kid - the comedian. What I hear most is "Skylar just cracks me up." Everyone says it and he does his best to live up to his reputation. But I get the real Skylar, the one who isn't always putting on a show (but believe me, he is always cracking us up). I get the Skylar who loves his little sisters; he is the babysitter of choice at our house and they love him. He'd keep Anny if I let him. He is always asking to hold her and kiss on her.
He is crazy about football, though that isn't new to anyone. This year we let him play on his own team and he was a star!
He is also a wonderful student. He is one of those kids who breezes through everything and makes stupid errors cause he goes too fast. He is a writer of fabulous and crazy stories, and loves to draw his own illustrations to go along. Principal's Honor Roll still eludes him, though he's been on honor roll since he started school. He is a wonderful musician, even if he doesn't like to practice. He takes piano lessons, but don't tell his friends. He wants to be a percussionist just like his older brothers.
I heard that at church, if someone forgets to prepare a talk for primary, Skylar is always ready to volunteer. He is a people person and loves to be the center of attention. Skylar gives me a kiss and a hug everyday; something I would miss terribly if he ever stopped. Skylar reminds me so much of my brother Donny. He's just so dang cute!! In fact, we have a video of Donny, Candice, and Melissa in the backyard pool as kids, and I was thinking about it today and almost caught off guard how much they are alike. If he grows up to be half the man his Uncle Donny is, I could be proud of that. I love you Skylar, you will always be my baby boy.

10 comments:

Brittany said...

*Donny, Brittany, and Melissa (ahem!) haha. Skylar is pretty dang cute and I made Katy and Tawny watch that video a few weeks ago and the three of us said that Uncle Donny looked and acted exactly like Skylar! What a coinki-dink!

Stacy said...

Sorry Boo, I know you were in the video, just not in the part I was thinking of. You were really cute in your 10 pound diaper and pink swimming suit going down the slide at 2 years old. You just didn't fit into the "good, bad, and ugly" like those three did. hee hee

n!c said...

Happy birthday!! Looking forward to having him in Webelos.

Melissa said...

That is sweet, Stacy. Dallin really likes Skylar and will love having him in Webelos for a few months before he goes to 11 year old scouts in March. I'm glad they get to hang out during choir!

Unknown said...

Skylar is just a miniature Bill Whetten!

Donny's not 1/2 bad, either.

Rachel M said...

Happy Birthday Skylar! Cute post about him Stac!

C Whetten said...

He does remind me of Donny...guess that's ok. Who knew he would make it to 10. He is a sweetheart of a kid. It's exciting to watch him as he grows up.

Candice said...

Who you callin ugly! Haha. Happy birthday Skylar.

I Am Boymom said...

We just celebrated Little man's b-day on the 1st! It's flying by so fast! Skylar is a good looking 10 year old! Happy Birthday, Skylar!

Dizzy Kate said...

Your kids sound wonderful. I know they have a wonderful mom, so it all makes sense. He sounds like a fun, smart, talented, cute boy. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.