Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mixed Feelings on Mother's Day

I have mixed feelings about Mother's Day. Sometimes I am guilt ridden cause I'm not always the mom I wish I was but most of the time I am embarrassed that the world feels like it has to take one day to say, "good job Mom." I just wish we could say it all year round, not just that one day. Don't get me wrong, I love the gifts - I'm not very good at spending money on myself very often. I'm not always that appreciative of my own mom throughout the year, so who am I to even talk? Anyways, this year was similar to years past, but my favorite year was a story to share, even if it is only funny to me and my mom.

Ben graduated from college (no small feat while he worked full time as an airman in the Air Force, went to school full time, and was the Elder's Quorum President in a very "needy" ward in Albuquerque, NM and the father of 3 small kids). I tried to be a stay home mom, but the kids and I also threw a paper route for 18 months once, and we did a home daycare. I must add that Ben always ended up helping me with those jobs too. He is the best husband a woman could ask for. Anyway, he was graduating from college this particular Mother's Day weekend. My parents drove from Mesa to come celebrate with us. The graduation was wonderful and I couldn't have been more proud. We had friends and family over for lunch that afternoon and celebrated till late that Saturday night. I had picked up a small gift for my mom before she arrived, knowing that I wouldn't have time once they got there. I must also add to this story that we were flat broke, I mean penniless. Our dates (which have always been consistent throughout our marriage, thanks babe) consisted of driving to the 7/11 and sharing a 44oz. diet pepsi and driving the car around Albuquerque and surrounding towns. Sometimes we just parked the car and watched the jets take off and land, or whatever:) I had suggested for a few weeks prior that since we had very little money, he could just buy me the talking frog magnet that was like $1.99 at the 7/11 store (I collected frogs).

Anyway, I went to bed happy and full and proud. When we woke the next morning, both my dad and Ben realized that in the excitement of Ben's graduation, they had forgotten it was Mother's Day. I don't remember getting any breakfast in bed, no brownies for breakfast, nothing. I just remember the two of them saying they needed to run an "errand." When they returned, Ben had the talking frog and a 44oz. diet pepsi for me and my dad had a rose encased in plastic for my mom, both purchase at the 7/11 store down the street. Happy Mother's Day to me! See, not as funny except to my mom and me.

I hate telling this story without adding that I'm not the best when it comes to gift giving cause I'm too practical. I don't like to spend money on gadgets that I know will be set aside in a drawer after a few days or weeks, I don't like to spend money on dollar store crap just to have quantity, and I overlook the fact that a simple card with a message and a thought is better than nothing. One time, when Ben was working in California for about 18 months, I actually forgot to call him and wish him a Happy Birthday. I finally remembered the next morning. Ugghhh, I'll never live that one down. And, I must add that Ben is the best at writing me love letters, poems, and e-mails for no reason at all. Something I'm not always so good at.

Having said that, I can dredge through any kind of Mother's Day that is thrown at me cause my sweet man makes sure I am appreciated throughout the year. I hope my kids are watching:)

6 comments:

Ben said...

you are way too kind!

C Whetten said...

Yes....but it certainly was a Mothers Day that we will never forget....or let them live down.

Chad~Nicole said...

This kinda reminds me of Stacia's funny Valentine story. They're lucky 7/11 is open 24/7/365.

Lisa W said...

Boy, that story sounds like many holidays around here. In fact one Mothers Day when Trevor's parents were staying with us both his mom and myself got flowers after "We have a little errand to run really quickly," said by Trevor and his dad. I can't remember if it was Sunday morning or late Saturday night but they cut it close! Sometimes we're both a little bit "holiday challenged" around here!

Stacia said...

That is too funny! I'm glad that you were able to get your pepsi fix and the frog is a nice touch too!

The Knappy Crew said...

Those mothers days are the ones we will never forget...right?