Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Filling your lamp with oil

In our Relief Society, our theme this month is Filling your lamp with oil by giving meaningful service. It was so cool to read Michelle's blog when she told about a "sister" who came and cleaned her house since Michelle has been so sick. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to "tattle" on people who have been filling their lamps with oil by giving meaningful service. So, here is your chance, I'll start and you can add your tattles as a comment or on your own blog.

Today, I woke up at 4:45am and couldn't go back to sleep. (worry, stress, pregnancy, etc.) I got all my kids off to school and then I told Tawny that I wanted to lay down for just 15 minutes before I head off to drop her at preschool and then on to my Dr. appt. There was no time to waste, but I just needed to close my eyes because my head was pounding. When I woke up, I had been asleep for 40 minutes. Yowza, I hurried and dressed, ran my fingers through my hair and splashed water on my face. The first service came from a "sister" whom I dumped Tawny onto 20 minutes before school without asking. (I had every intent to call and ask, but it just didn't happen.) So wether she had a choice or not, she served me by taking Tawny early this morning when I showed up unannounced.

I made it to my first errand and then to my Dr. appt on time, luckily. I had no make up on, and I wished I had a pony for my hair. I ran a few more errands and ended up at Deseret Book where I ran into a brother and sister from the ward, who were on a date. This sister saw me and the first thing she said is, "Look, it's Stacy, we were just talking about how beautiful you are with this pregnancy." Then came the tears. I needed to hear that, especially the way I was feeling today. I have thought about it all day and it has lifted my spirits immeasurably. It was a small comment, one that may have seemed trivial, but to me, it was a lifesaver. So, thank you dear brother and sister and other sister for giving meaningful service today.

Who do you know that is giving meaningful service this month?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess we never know what could make someone's day. Even the littlest things do count!

Chad~Nicole said...

A "sister" volunteered to let Canon play at her house for a while giving me a break...and a double bonus, Zane was asleep while Canon was gone. :)

Morris Mama said...

I'm tattling you for letting me borrow your car to go visit teaching or on other errands!

Celeste - The Solar Cook said...

HHmmmm...I can't think of anyone to tattle on. I think I am the one doing most of the service for others right now. It is that time of my life I guess. I have received so much service from others over the years that I could never repay it...but I'll try!

I'm happy that you were able to receive from another. It is just as important to allow someone to serve you as it is to serve yourself.

Karolee said...

I love this theme as well! Thank you again for the great enrichment night, it turned out great and I was really touched.

I have too many people to tattle on. I think there is not a day that goes by that someone doesn't say something or do something for me that makes my day a little easier! I will keep track and start 'tattling' to you!

Tim and Shay said...

That is so neat. I love that story. I really miss the ward and all the service that goes on there. Everybody is so AWESOME!!! Im missing you all.